We’re really excited to be collaborating on the LearNYC Swarm project with 2Revolutions, a NYC-based education design lab that specializes in designing and launching Future of Learning models and catalyzing the conditions within which those models can thrive. Together we will be investigating building learning scenarios that further remix the work we do within Hive Learning Networks and what goes on in schools.
LearNYC Swarm is an experiment to establish a seamless 24/7 learning experience for youth that incorporates what they’re learning in school, the interests and passions they pursue on their own time, and family involvement, in a context that leverages the city as a “learning gameboard.” We plan to design and launch new models that enable students to ride on a mobile learning platform as they move freely between and among formal and informal learning experiences—both in and out of school and in ways that accelerate their learning and their educational progress.
This animated video from 2Revolutions describes why the current model of “school” is broken, and portrays the learning ecosystem that they hope to build up in its place.
We’re still in the nascent stages, but have invited Hive NYC to help us sharpen our thinking and brainstorm experiments and implementations we can begin testing this Fall. 2Revolutions is hosting a design charrette/session this Thursday, June 21st from 9am-noon. We want to leave with BIG ideas and answers to some of these questions:
- What might be possible if we take the best of the informal learning experiences that our members provide young people and mash it up with the best of what schools have to offer – in one seamless context NOT bound by the four walls of a school?
- How might we connect our work more directly to schools?
- What barriers will we need to overcome to enable these ideas?
- How will we collaborate within Hive to develop something amazing for youth?
- What do we think learning could be – and ought to be – for more young people across NYC?
We hope to have a diverse range of organizations participate as we continue to iterate on this plan. Please RSVP via minigroup or post comments here with any questions.